A poor immune system can leave you more vulnerable to illnesses like the common cold and flu,
and even contribute to the development of cancer and other serious diseases. Read the following 8 tips to boost your immunity so you can enjoy your winter wellness.
You might be sabotaging your immune system without even know it. Many common lifestyle habits can have a negative effect on the health of your immune system. Just think of how many people die from the flu and other common ailments, especially as they age and their immune system function decreases.
Replacing bad habits with healthy habits can bolster the strength and effectiveness of your immune system. Boosting your immune system is one of the most important things you can do for your health. It has a significant impact on longevity.
Consider where you could implement healthier, immune-boosting habits:
1. Change your diet. Foods that are high in antioxidants and other nutrients boost the immune system. The best way to get all of these nutrients is by eating fruits and vegetables. Ideally, fill at least half your plate with vegetables.
2. Reduce stress. We’re all faced with a certain amount of stress in our lives. A small amount of stress is actually good for our health. However, excessive, chronic stress has a very negative impact on immune system health. When you’re stressed, you become much more likely to develop a variety of illnesses.
3. Laugh more. Laughing is great for you. It decreases the level of stress hormones in your body. It also increases a specific type of white blood cell. Even the anticipation of experiencing something humorous has a very positive effect on the immune system.
4. Get enough sleep. Most adults require 7 to 9 hours of sleep to maintain good health. A lack of sleep can increase the likelihood of getting sick. Insomnia can increase inflammation in the body, which inhibits your immune system’s responsiveness.
5. Practice relaxation techniques. Since chronic stress decreases immune system function, learning relaxation techniques will help return your immune system to healthy state. Regular meditation has been known to have a positive impact on your immune system.
6. Exercise regularly. Moderate exercise of only 30 minutes a day increases several factors in the immune system. Sitting at a desk all day increases the odds of catching common ailments. Go to the gym or get out and take a brisk walk every day.
7. Cut back on sugar. Excess sugar consumption has a negative effect on immune system’s effectiveness when dealing with bacteria. This effect can be seen after the consumption of as little as 75 grams of sugar and continues for at least a few hours.
By making these small changes, getting into healthy eating and good hygiene practices you can give your immune system a healthy boost and get a head start on your health for winter.
If you would like to know more about foods that boost your immunity, sign up and download your free report: 29 FOODS THAT BOOST YOUR IMMUNITY